Gum disease is inflammation or infection of the supporting tissues that hold your teeth in place, ranging from gingivitis, periodontitis, to advanced periodontitis. If you’ve been told that you have gum disease, you aren’t alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), half of all American adults over the age of 30 have some form of gum disease.
Although it is better to prevent gum disease through proper daily oral hygiene, a healthy diet, and routine dental visits, there are ways to safely and effectively treat gum disease. At Leesburg Family Dental, laser gum treatment is a great option for many with periodontal disease for a variety of reasons:
- It’s minimally invasive. No general anesthesia is required, as it is with some dental surgery.
- It’s effective. Lasers can target the problem area with specificity and precision.
- You heal faster. Recovery time from laser treatment is shorter than traditional surgery and there is less bleeding, pain, and swelling.
What Can I Expect From Laser Gum Treatment?
If you’re interested in having laser treatment for gum disease, the process is simple. The typical procedure for healing periodontal disease is called scaling and root planing, or SRP. When you come in for your appointment, a dental laser will be used to remove the infected area surrounding the tooth. Once the root is exposed, scaling begins. This is a process of scraping away plaque from the root area. We’ll smooth out any rough spots to prevent further bacteria buildup, and you’ll be on your way.
What Should I Do Post-Treatment?
- Let us know about any medications you’re taking so we can determine if they will affect your recovery.
- Maintain your routine of brushing twice a day for two minutes each time and flossing daily.
- Rinse with an alcohol-free antibacterial mouthwash to help keep your mouth clean and healthy.
- If you’re a smoker, we recommend you quit to protect your oral health and your overall health. Smokers are more at risk for developing periodontal disease.
- Call our office any time if questions or problems arise!
We Can Check the Health of Your Gums!
If gum disease is an issue for you or if you aren’t sure whether your gums are healthy, we are eager to help. We can examine the health of your mouth, suggest tips to improve your oral hygiene routine, and determine if you are a good candidate for laser gum treatment. Contact us today to schedule your next appointment at Leesburg Family Dental! We look forward to helping you achieve outstanding oral health.Schedule My Appointment