in Leesburg, VA
Fluoride is a critical ingredient in many kinds of toothpaste due to its ability to fight off cavities and strengthen tooth enamel. Fluoride treatments are a straightforward and easy preventive service that you can add at the end of routine dental appointments to keep your teeth healthy and strong. While they are often recommended for children, fluoride treatments can be utilized by patients of all ages. Contact our office to learn more today! Please continue reading to learn more about fluoride treatment and the many benefits on your overall dental health.contact us
What does a fluoride treatment involve?
Fluoride treatments typically take place after a professional dental cleaning and a dental exam so that the teeth are clean and plaque-free. A thin layer of fluoride varnish is applied over the teeth, which contains a much higher fluoride concentration than what is in toothpaste. It’s essential to avoid eating, drinking, or brushing your teeth for at least thirty minutes post-treatment so that the fluoride can be fully absorbed into the teeth. Waiting at least a few hours to brush your teeth is ideal but not totally necessary, and the varnish will not be noticeable to those around you. Intense fluoride treatments that we offer should only be done twice a year or every time you come in for your cleaning.
What are the benefits of fluoride treatments?
Fluoride treatments offer many benefits to patients who choose to utilize them. These benefits include:
- Fluoride works by replenishing minerals on tooth surfaces that have been damaged by decay. It can also prevent cavities by inhibiting the formation of dangerous oral germs.
- Prevents cavities from occurring due to remineralization of the enamel
- If minor tooth decay is already present, it can be reversed.
- Fluoride helps stop any present decay from penetrating into the tooth’s inner portions when if it did, it would be harder to save the natural tooth during restorations.
- Strengthens each tooth’s enamel
- With fluoride preventing cavities, it prevents extensive and expensive restorative procedures in the future.
- Quick, painless, and inexpensive treatment
- Getting a fluoride treatment between each dental cleaning will give you excellent protection
Is fluoride safe?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral found in air, soil, water, and rocks. In small quantities, fluoride is safe for humans. In fact, many cities add fluoride to their water supplies to reduce tooth decay in their populations. It is unusual for patients to ingest dangerous fluoride levels, and topical fluoride treatments are generally safe dental services that come with very minimal risks. If you have any other questions or concerns for our team regarding fluoride treatments, please let our team know, and we will be happy to assist.
Although fluoride is very beneficial and having your teeth absorb too much can have adverse effects such as:
- White specks on teeth
- Pitting and staining on teeth
- Dense bones that lack strength
We encourage you to seek information from our dental professionals if you want to expose your teeth to more fluoridated products.
Give us a Call
At Leesburg Family Dental, we instruct our patients on how to use fluoridated products efficiently and safely while not in the office. Suppose you have any questions on what products to use or the safe fluoride levels for members of your family. At your next appointment with us to get your teeth cleaned, please ask us about our fluoride treatment.Contact Us